Ottawa Dog Rescue is an Ottawa (Ontario) foster-based organization dedicated to saving abandoned, neglected & abused dogs
We all enter into Rescue with the best of intentions, and we will endeavor to:
- Rescue dogs from situations that are deemed abusive, dangerous or neglectful;
- Rescue dogs in danger of being euthanized at area shelters/pounds;
- Place rescued dogs into well-matched carefully screened permanent adoptive homes;
- Provide all the necessary veterinary care for the dogs taken into our care;
- Provide support for dogs in need through our adoption and fostering programs;
- Offer the Owner Surrender Program, as an alternative for dog owners who are no longer willing or able to keep their dogs and are considering surrendering them to a shelter or animal control facility;
- Educate and promote the importance of spaying/neutering companion animals, positive behavior training, good canine nutrition and educate the public on how to help prevent animal cruelty.
All of our dogs will be adopted out fully vetted, which includes an exam, core vaccinations, rabies vaccine, heartworm testing and deworming. We treat any existing conditions (worms, mange, allergies, dental etc.) and our dogs are spayed or neutered prior to being adopted.
Occasionally a puppy will be adopted out that is too young to be fixed. In these cases there will be an adoption contract that includes a “spay or neuter clause”. We will schedule the appointment when the time comes and we will follow up to ensure the appointment has been honoured.
In addition to any adoption donations that we will receive, our volunteers will put together several events in order to raise additional funds for the care and rehabilitation of our dogs.
Ottawa Dog Rescue has started as a very small team. We are all like-minded and committed to the cause. The team is currently made up of 3 Board members, 4 additional coordinators and an initial 6 foster families. As mentioned, we will grow slowly in order to make sure we do things right. All the rescue dogs will be in homes where they are shown love, patience and basic obedience, and where they can learn how to be a happy dog.
Our flagship event this year is the Rock & Rescue Ottawa concert that in 2013, raised over $8000 in its inaugural year! These funds were then distributed between 4 rescues which included Hopeful Hearts Dog rescue, Birch Haven Rescue and Rehabilitation, Poets Vision Aussie Rescue and Genesis Dog Rescue. Some of our other events will include:
- Photo Contest
- Bottle Drives
- Tattoo for Rescue Project
- Pet pampering Event
- Silent and Online Auctions
- Golf Tournament – Raffles & bake sales
- Adoption Days (Pet Valu, Global Pets etc.)
- Mini-make-over Event
- Ottawa Dog Rescue is a completely volunteer based organization. We have no paid staff.
- All adoptions include veterinary and personal reference checks, “Meet and Greets”, home visits and adoption contracts.
- All of our dogs are in loving fosters homes until their new families find them. They are socialized and exposed to other dogs, cats and children when appropriate.
- We provide our foster homes with all necessary food, veterinary care, medication, training and supplies needed to foster.
- All dogs are spay-neutered and UTD on shots prior to adoption.