Ottawa Dog Rescue is an Ottawa, Ontario foster-based organization dedicated to saving abandoned, neglected & abused dogs.
We all enter into Rescue with the best of intentions, and we will endeavor to:
- Rescue dogs from situations that are deemed abusive, dangerous or neglectful.
- Rescue dogs in danger of being euthanized at area shelters/pounds.
- Place rescued dogs into well-matched, carefully screened, permanent adoptive homes.
- Provide all the necessary veterinary care for the dogs taken into our care.
- Provide support for dogs in need through our adoption and fostering programs.
- Offer the Owner Surrender Program as an alternative for dog owners who are no longer willing or able to keep their dogs and are considering surrendering them to a shelter or animal control facility.
- Educate and promote the importance of spaying/neutering companion animals, positive behaviour training, good canine nutrition and raising awareness within the community on how to help prevent animal cruelty.
All of our dogs will be adopted out fully vetted. This includes a full intake exam, core vaccinations, rabies vaccination, heartworm testing and deworming. We treat any existing conditions (worms, mange, allergies, dentals etc.) and our dogs are spayed or neutered prior to being adopted.
Many of the puppies in our care that are adopted out are too young to be spay/neutered at the time of adoption. These puppies are adopted out with an adoption contract that includes a “spay/neuter clause”. We will schedule the appointment when the time comes and follow up to ensure the appointment has been honoured.
In addition to the adoption fees received for each adopted dog, our team of volunteers put together several events throughout the year in order to raise additional funds for the care and rehabilitation of our dogs.
Ottawa Dog Rescue has started as a very small team. We are all like-minded and committed to the cause. The team is currently made up of 5 Board members, a management team of 8 Directors, and numerous foster families. We continue to grow slowly in order to ensure things are done right. All the rescue dogs will be in homes where they are shown love, patience and basic obedience, and where they can learn how to be a happy dog and balanced dog.
Our flagship event is Rock & Rescue Ottawa , a concert that, in 2013, raised over $8000 in its inaugural year and was distributed between 4 deserving rescues. Since then R&R Ottawa has proudly raised over $110,000 for local dog rescues in Ottawa and we hope to be back in 2022!
Some of our other events include:
- Photo Contests
- Bottle Drives
- Microchip Clinics
- Silent and Online Auctions
- Golf Tournament
- Raffles & Bake sales
- Adoption Days (Pet Valu, Rens Pets etc)
- Starbucks days
- And so much more!
~ Ottawa Dog Rescue is a completely volunteer based organization. We have no paid staff.
~ All adoptions include veterinary and personal reference checks, “Meet and Greets”, home visits and adoption contracts.
~ All of our dogs are in loving fosters homes until their new families find them. They are socialized and exposed to other dogs, cats and children when appropriate.
~ We provide our foster homes with all necessary food, veterinary care, medication, training and supplies needed to foster.
~All dogs are spay-neutered and up to date on age appropriate vaccinations prior to adoption.